This was the day that part of the business team spent evaluating another part of the Lamjung Experience Trekking route, hiking 3 hours to another village then ascend a peak to some ruins. The morning was a leisurely stroll through the rice terraces (Megan, me & Danalee)
I love how hard working they are. It made me feel really lazy since I sit at a desk all day for work.

The rice terraces had paths through them mostly made out of stone... and mostly had a few foot drop off on both sides. I think we lost more than one person off the edge by the end of the day.
The rice terraces had paths through them mostly made out of stone... and mostly had a few foot drop off on both sides. I think we lost more than one person off the edge by the end of the day.
More of the beautiful rice terraces
We finally made it to the village of Puranokot and refilled our water bottles before heading up the mountain. There isn't indoor plumbing so this is the communal water tap.
And, to keep us safe, we always purified our water. This time it was with a SteriPEN which uses UV light to kill the bugs.
On our way through the rest of the village, we passed some ladies pounding rice into flour so we thought we'd give it a try, as Scott is so aptly demonstrating here.
And, finally starting to climb the peak... we were already tired and hot.
A view from part way up

Little did we know, there was a leech field we'd have to navigate for at least 30 min before reaching the top. I wouldn't have though leeches were so bad. That is until I had to deal with them. It was like a horror film. They sense the warm blood around, latch onto the bottom of your shoes or on your clothes if you brush by them and they crawl/inch-worm up to your skin to suck your blood. IT. WAS. CREEPY. Every 20 seconds or so, I'd stop to do a leech check and use my little stick to try to flick them off my shoes. Some how one huge one got in between my shoe and sock in the back and I freaked out. Not kidding. I flipped my shoe off and two friends were kind enough to dig the leech out and help me put my shoe back on while I'm doing my little screaming freaking out thing. I didn't get any pictures in here because I was so freaked out from the leeches. I don't think it would be as bad the second time around knowing what was in store. So... we finally made it to the top where there is a Prince's castle and a Princess' castle in ruins. You can see some people doing a leech check and others checking out the view.
Danalee's nephew has cancer so we put up prayer flags for him. Every time the prayer flag flaps in the wind it sends a prayer to heaven.
A view on the way down.
Part of the way down Puranokot, my finger is pointing at the place we sleep... still a long ways away.... and the sun is starting to go down.
Miriam, our cute German, near the bouldering field in the rice terraces.
I met some cute friends in Puranokot. That village was more Mongolian descent and you could see the differences in the kids' features.
Braden and I taught the kids how to High-5.
After the long hike back (that Seth, Staci, and I made with out headlamps even through the rice terraces - on purpose), Seth and I saw Lauren and Tyler with cold sodas so we walked into the village and bought out nearly all the bottled soda from 2 stores and gave them out to the rest of our group for a fun treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment