Monday, November 29, 2010

Nepal Day 4... From Sota to Pokhara

The Nepal saga continues...


I wish there was more to say about day 4, but there isn't. We caught a bus from Sota to Pokhara. We didn't have the back seat to ourselves this time. In fact, we were lucky enough to share it with 2 Germans and 1 Nepali. Let's just say we didn't all fit together that great. Especially since I was one of the shorter ones and my knees were smashed against the seat in front of me. BUT, we were lucky enough to ride in a bus that was transporting a dresser on top and sporting hearts around the tail lights.We finally (5 hours later) made it to Pokhara, promptly got ripped off (how come this is starting to sound like a common theme?) by a guy saying we could get a free ride to his hotel and if we didn't like it we could leave. Well, we got there, it was a dump, and they made us pay at least 3-4 times what we should have paid. Well, we could have stayed in the hotel and not paid for the taxi but I was mad and it was a dump. So, we paid it and left. The next hotel, full of Asian motorcyclers who had chronic hacking and spitting, but the guy who ran it was sooo nice.


We finally made it out for a leisurely stroll around Pokhara, a tourist town in the West, and I ate... surprise, surprise... a typical Nepali dinner of baht (rice), daal (lentils), saag (greens), curried veggies, some crispy-peppery cracker/bread thing, and the ever present yogurt curd that Claire hated but I really liked.
And, finally, for your enjoyment, one of the many crazy signs that we saw trying to get us, the tourists, to buy things like this scarf.

No comments: