Last night I had my new friend, Sheila, over for dinner so she could tell me all about her recent trip to Italy. If you dig waaaaay back in my archives you will note that Cinque Terre, Italy is on my list of must see places.
Not knowing what I was going to feed her for dinner and probably not having enough time to do something great after work, I found this delicious recipe for crockpot rotisserie chicken. I think I want to try a different rub next time... maybe mesquite or a lemon herb rub. Best part, I tossed the bird in the pot in the morning and then... set it and forget it! The chicken turned out very tender and flavorful. The leftovers will be great for making chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles.
Rub:
2-3 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Pinch chili pepper - optional
Skin a 5-6 lb whole chicken (unless you LOVE chicken skin), rub the dry rub inside and outside the chicken. Put a quartered onion and 4 cloves garlic (both optional) in the cavity. Place the chicken breast side down in the crockpot. Don't add water! (The chicken emits plenty of juice to keep it from burning). Set it on low (8 hours) or high (4-5 hours), and forget it!
I also made some quick french bread (recipe courtesy of Kellie's blog) that turned out delicious! Leave it to me to try new recipes on visitors!
French Bread
1 ¼ c warm water
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
3 c flour
Dissolve yeast in water and sugar
Add rest of ingredients
Stir; let sit 10 minutes; stir
Shape
Bake at 400 25-35 minutes
2 comments:
Yummy! Gonna have to try those!
No oil on the bottom, just plopped the chicken with the rub right in the clean crock pot and let it cook. It didn't stick to anything. There was a lot of meat juice by the time it was done cooking. I was paranoid that I was going to burn my whole apartment complex down so actually went home from work in the middle of the day. There was nothing to worry about.
Post a Comment