Sunday, October 12, 2008

Best of Barbados - Day by Day

Here's a quick recount of my trip through AZ, Miami, Puerto Rico, and Barbados

Tue Sept 30 - Flew from MN to AZ and spent the night at Kristin's house. Miss my friends in AZ!

Wed August 1 - Early morning flight from AZ to Miami. Met up with Heather and Jessica. Joe and I caught our flight from Miami to connect through Puerto Rico and on to Barbados. The other 3 had a direct flight. Joe and I ended up spending the night in Puerto Rico. What did we do with the night? Wandered around the airport... on foot.


Thurs August 2 - Joe and I spent the morning in Old San Juan seeing the old fortresses and wandering around the streets. No stray dogs around but a ton of stray cats. If you are ever in PR, remember it is illegal to feed or abandon a cat. Save a Gato! Flew back to Miami and then got on a non-stop flight to Barbados and took a cab to Silver Sands Resort. Finally got to hop into a pool at 10pm.

Fri August 3 - Not only did it rain, it poured, and poured, and poured... all night and into the morning. You might have thought that the rain had let up and head out, and then it would start to pour again. We all got soaked just walking to the small store at the resort. Decided to take local buses to go see Harrison's Cave. We called a head of time and they said they were open. After catching a bus into Bridgetown, walking across B-town, and then catching another bus, we got there and they said they were closed due to the rain! So, we reversed our trip back home. Beat laying on the bed all day watching TV, playing games, or reading. I was anxious to get out and see the country. Scored a victory getting Kristin, Heather, and Jess on a local bus. They said they wouldn't get on one when Joe and I got there.

Sat August 4 - Went on a catamaran cruise up the west coast of Barbados. I wasn't too sure about it but in the end it was great. May have been one of the best things we did on the trip. They took us out snorkeling with big sea turtles, lots of fish, and then a shipwreck. The crew made us lunch on the boat, served us free drinks (of course we didn't drink but the virgin pina colada was divine!), and played lots of loud music. It was sunny all morning then started to rain on and off. Spent the remainder of the afternoon on Boatyard beach where the cruise orginated. They had a floaty trampoline and a floaty climbing wall. It was so much fun!

Sun August 5 - Spent the day just relaxing at the beach since it was Sunday. Didn't have to worry about rain. It was HOT, HOT, HOT! By noon I was beet red and my body is still peeling today from the burn.






Mon August 6 - Scuba diving day! Kristin, Joe, and I went on a resort dive from the Hilton resort while Jess and Heather spent the day at the Hilton at the pool and the beach. They spent about 30 min in the pool teaching us how to use the scuba gear then loaded us into a boat and took us out to several shipwrecks right off the coast. It was neat to try something new and go scuba diving.

Tue August 7 - The girls spent the day back at the Hilton (somehow they thought that beach was better? I figured it was all the same ocean and sand but glad they could do what they wanted. Joe and I spent the day exploring some of the island. We headed out to the east coast and went to Crane Beach. Apparently that is suppose to be one of the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. We spent some time there wandering around and exploring the beach, the cliffs, and the resort at the top of the cliffs. Then we made our way via bus and foot up to a rum factory. We walked about 15-20 min in the heat to the factory and thought we were going to die of either sunburn or dehydration. It was about 95 degrees and 95% humidity. We finally made it though. Not being an alcohol drinker, I didn't know, but the rum was Stinky Pete! Kind of interesting to how they make it though. It actually gave us a chance to see more of the country.

Wed August 8 - Last morning of our trip in Barbados. Joe and I still wanted to see Harrison's Cave, so we thought we timed it right and caught buses up there and got there by 8:55 but they wouldn't let us go on the 9am tour even though we were the only ones there. We had to wait till 9:30. They were deep underground caves with stalagtites and stalagmites, pools, rivers, and waterfalls. The caves were ok but I felt like I was at Disneyland because they built a tram into the cave and you had to ride with a guide talking the whole way. Sad because they pretty much destroyed the cave to make it touristy. Joe and I caught buses back into B-town and then back to Silver Sands just in time to toss our things into our bags and check out. The girls spent the night in Miami and Joe and I spent the night in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Somehow left my cell phone in the room when we checked out the next morning, but it all worked out since they were nice and overnighted it to me.

No comments: