Friday, August 28, 2009

Home Sweet Polochic

Welcome my worthy friends to a tour of my Polochic home. You might think mining camp... I might think home. Actually we're both right. So, let me take you on a tour of where I lived.

Mess hall and meeting area with the soccer field and basketball court in front.
Some of the women's accommodations across the soccer field from the mess hall. Funny enough, the girls who stayed in there had bedrooms and mattresses and showers with actual doors and not plastic for shower doors. When we finally made it to the camp the first night, everyone was supposed to hear all the living options before they were split out however a bunch of girls headed out to the building once it was mentioned. One did abandon ship down to the warehouse though when they found out there were fleas in some of the bedrooms/mattresses.














The end of the soccer area (locals would come and play matches against the gringos some nights) and the cattle truck loading area. More pics to come on our transportation options.

Kristin headed up the hill from the warehouse area where we lived. You can see it through the trees on the left. I wish I'd gotten a better picture of the warehouse. One warehouse for girls and one for guys.















The trek up the hill from the warehouse to the mess hall and everything else we needed to get to.
Jill and Kristin unpacking for our stay in the warehouse. Yes, we were the lucky ones to sleep on the concrete floors of the warehouse.














Advice for the Day: When you are in a dark place you don't know and don't have your flashlight or lamp source, DO NOT attempt to walk in the dark by yourself. Borrow someone's flashlight. This advice comes with a picture to show you the ledge I walked off in the dark my second night there on my way down from dinner to the warehouse. Luckily I didn't break or tear anything and only came away with a big bruise on my thigh somehow. Funny though... another girl did the exact same thing and we both had bruises on our upper thighs from the experience!

1 comment:

angenette said...

Love it! Keep the stories and pix coming!